Monday, August 19, 2013

A Red Sock In White Laundry


The Bible says "Just a little leaven, works through the entire dough."

A couple of days ago I found out that somebody had been spreading some gossip about me. And like rumor has it... it has it all wrong. And like any other person, I didn't like the gossip that was making its rounds especially because it was about me. I couldn't find a way to defend myself or to prove myself. I thought I'll call the person who was repeating this lie and ask him to please stop. I took me just one second to realize that that would be plain stupid. Then, the very next second I had the next brilliant idea - to write to the person and ask the person to please not malign me like this. And again I knew it would be a silly thing to do. So I let that go. But I was so heartbroken about what I heard. I knew I wanted to do something about it but I didn't know what ! I dwelt on it and it made me weaker and I couldn't stop rehearsing what was said. This was day 1.

By day 2, I was worn out. I was worn out with all the thinking and hurting and rehearsing. I had allowed this into my day, into my mind and into my heart. I wanted to vent out. I wanted to mull over it. I was having a horrible day wallowing in my little pool of self-pity. I allowed bitterness to creep in and that turned into resentment and that turned into anger. I spent the whole day complaining and crying !

I was now beginning to realize how this works...

These things that we allow, paralyses our capacities to function in our GOD-given roles (Dr Carl Stevens). They render our work ineffective because our occupation is with ourselves. The Cross is no longer our point of reference or identity. I am ever so often reactionary to these schemes and ploys only to realize, much later, that I had been played by the devil. I realized that the office of the devil is to steal, plunder and destroy... but JESUS came to give us life and life in abundance ! I went to my LORD and my FRIEND to get my refill of fresh grace and love for my offender. It was not easy. It is not easy to get down on your knees and cry before your FATHER. Because naturally, our automatic response is reactionary and that of self pity. I remembered testimonies I heard or read, about CHRISTians who had forgiven the murderers of their loved ones. Who blessed those who cursed them, who gave gifts to those who stole from them. In application it was so hard to do what seemed so easy for an average CHRISTian.

So, I went to JESUS, exhausted and helpless. I felt distant. I felt angry. Spiritually nauseous...I just wanted to throw up all the bitterness and anger. 48 hours into this and I was sick of my sin. The HOLY SPIRIT was convicting me and showing me how a red sock ruins a laundry of whites.



If you are in such a place today, I just went through this whole ordeal and wanted you to know it’s just not worth it. To be angry is a natural thing to do.... but it is not spiritual. To be bitter is obvious but not healthy.

So get the red sock off and keep your white laundry white :-) "Instant" forgiveness is still the best way out !

1 comment: